Do you ever wish you could go back in time and tell a thing or two to your younger self? I do, so I wrote an open letter of things I would say to my 13 year old self. The time when emotions really kicked in.
I remember the age where I first felt grown up. Surprisingly it was when I was 10. It was when I felt in control of my own mind and common sense started to form. Now this is quite an early age to feel ‘grown up’. I look at my 14 year old sister as my ‘baby’ sister still and still feel she’s so young. When you get to an age where your emotions come into play and you are learning how to cope with them, it takes time to manage them properly.
Sometimes I wish I could go back in time to when I was 13 and tell myself a few things.. Here’s an open letter with a list of ten things that I would say:
1. Being moody and hating the world doesn’t mean you have issues. You’re a teenager now, you will have mood swings now and again. Some just last longer than others.. (Like a year or so maybe)
2. Is meeting boys after school really a better option than being at home with a movie or your friends? Yawn. It doesn’t make you cooler by ‘meeting the boys’ remember just a few year ago, boys were gross and smelly?
3. If you don’t know how to use make up properly. DON’T USE IT! Chances are you look like an oompa loompa and haven’t looked in a mirror recently. Why put it on for the sake of it? Trust me, there is no one to impress at your age.
4. It will get better. How ever emotional you feel right now, you will get your shit together. You may feel all grown up and in control but you are still young. Enjoy your childhood whilst it lasts and study hard.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning how to dance in the rain.
5. Although you fully understand what a swear word is, don’t use it every other word because your friends do. You actually sound ridiculous, and look like a badly spoken babyface.
6. Sometimes parents split up. It’s quite common. Life isn’t easy and doesn’t always pan out the way you expect it too. Accept things the way they are and stop blaming the world.
7. I know you hate school and it’s sooo boring, but just listen to what you are being taught, and actually try hard in your exams. Remember if you don’t do well now, there is no second chance. You can’t go back and start all over again, you have to live with your results.
8. Don’t try to fit in with the latest trends or beauty looks. Just be yourself and if others don’t like it then why should it bother you?
I was quite gothic when I was in school. I dyed my hair black and was obsessed with skulls and dragons. When everyone was listening to the latest music, I kept replaying my dads Guns & Roses album over and over again as to me, it was better than anything that was on the radio at the time.
9. Don’t pretend to be someone else. EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEIRDNESS! Not everyone will be your cup of tea, so stick with the people who get you for who you are!
10. Remember that you are still classed as a minor. You are still so young, however grown up you feel. Listen to your parents. They are there to protect you.
Here’s what I would like you to do:
- Write your own letter to yourself at 13
- Post the questions you would ask yourself and the answers in the comment box at the end of the post
- Describe your life when you was 13
Next up check out: 25 Things Every Twenty Something Girl Should Know
NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links which means I’ll earn a bit of commission at no extra cost to you of course! 🙂 Read more about it here)
Be A Part Of The Girly Gabble Newsletter!