In 5 Easy Steps! (If you need to grow up a bit)
When you’re a child, all you want to do is grow up. You get fed up of the constant nagging from your parents, and following rules set by others and you long to be an adult soooo bad. Right? But when the day comes when you turn old enough to stand on your own two feet. Do you actually know how to be an adult? And what implications this causes?
Now I’m 18 I’m finally an adult! I can get tattoos, can drink! And I can buy cigarettes! It’s the day we had been waiting bloody ages for!
Then come the responsibilities including in how to be an adult..
You are classed as a grown up, which means some level of maturity. Personally I’m still waiting to feel more mature and grown up, but it kinda hasn’t hit me yet, and don’t think it ever will. I’m a child at heart and purposely act stupid the majority of the time as it’s fun, and why the heck not?!
Wheeling around in the office on my swivel chair to save getting up and walking.. Yes please! Laziness to the extreme but hey, what would you rather do?
Being an adult is so full on! Finding a partner, having your own place, working, paying the bills, housework…
WHERE IS THE PAUSE BUTTON??
Unfortunately there is no going back and once you’re an adult you are expected to act like one, and not a two year old throwing a huge tantrum. Even though inside that’s all you want to do, as well as holding a middle finger up to onlookers..
The main 5 points I have picked up on along the years are:
1. Treat people the way you want to be treated. E.g don’t talk to someone like a complete dickhead if they haven’t done anything wrong; think how you would react if someone spoke to you that way.
2. When you set your alarm for work in the morning, actually try to resist the urge to smack the snooze button repeatedly for the next half an hour, whilst you reconsider if you actually need a job, as staying in bed is soooo much nicer; then quickly jump out of bed when you snap back into the reality that you need a job to buy food and shit..
I’ve been putting a lot of thought into it, and I just don’t think being an adult is for me..
3. Payday is coming up and you feel like a millionaire when a chunk of money is slopped in your account; but instead of piling up your Amazon basket and looking at them gorgeous shoes you’ve had your eye on all month; try this adult move: get your bills paid and out the way – do a food shop. Get your monthly essentials all at once to save making several trips out, where you know you’ll buy more pointless crap. Then when all your bills and essentials are paid for, look at what money you have left over and spread it over the remaining time until next payday; that way you know how much you have left to spend. Being in control of your finances will help you learn how to be an adult more than you realise!
4. Think on your feet. This is a tough one. When you’re in a situation such as: you spill your drink and make a terrible mess all over the carpet; I tend to look at the oldest person in the room with ‘help me I’m useless’ eyes; praying they will come and clean up the mess so I don’t have too. Well apparently this is not okay and you have to look after yourself. Boooooooooooo!
5. Listen. Simple, when people talk to you, take in what they’re saying as it may be informative. Or if people are expressing how they feel, be a good listener and let them rant at you. Offer sensible advice. Look at fellow adults and see how they react in such situations, you may learn a trick or two!
Is there a refund for this whole being an adult thing or what?
Can we go back to being kids now? Being an adult is sooooo overrated! *Sigh*
If you found this post useful or have any comments, drop a comment below! I’d love to hear from you!
Be A Part Of The Girly Gabble Newsletter!